Thursday, April 8, 2010

My Backyard Clean Up

When I signed the papers on this house I knew that it would be work. I was also fully aware that I would need to clean up the yard do some landscaping and what not. What I did not expect to find was a landfill in my back yard. The large green bag, in the previous post, is filled with what was once buried in my backyard. Mostly it is building materials, but I have also found car parts, a wire fence, lots of plumbing among other items that I would in general consider things you don't bury in your backyard. My set of tools began with a good pair of gloves (I really like the cotton gloves with the latex dip), my rubber boots and a shovel. My tool set has since grown in fact it first grew when I unearthed a good old garden rake in the pile, it has no handle, but that has had its advantages. Since I have purchased a rake with a handle, a wheel barrow, a second shovel (this one being a "spade" used for transferring rather than digging), and some garbage bags for the where the wheel barrow won't go. Tip here; don't fill the bag so full you can't carry it up the hill.
With the foundation being the biggest issue as well as the issue that needs to be fixed before I can begin any of the work inside the house I must first prepare. The back yard clean up is not over yet I figure that it will take me another week to finish. Once the yard is close enough to free of the dangers that be I shall finish digging the French Drain.  I need somewhere to put the dirt and do not want to pile anything else on my trash heap. The French Drain will ensure that once I fix the foundation it will have a fighting chance in this lovely Texas clay soil. In addition I will also need to tear off a very poorly done back porch addition, and install a tankless water heater. It is at that point that I will hopefully be able to begin work on the foundation, because I desperately want to redo my bathroom.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

Taking on this project is a new beginning for me and my twins. This isn’t the first time I have bought a house that is a true project. A little more than a decade ago I bought a house in Bozeman, MT. It was a project. Between trips to the library and the lumber yard I learned so much. I tore down walls, replaced plumbing, put in new electrical fixtures, and refinished 100 year old hardwood floors. I didn’t hire a single contractor and it turned out great. I sold it for a little profit two years later, granted if you where to look at the hours that I put in then I likely only made pennies per hour. This house is not only an opportunity for me to have a place of my own again, but also to teach my children the value of hard work and perseverance. I am so excited to learn new things and to get my hands dirty again.